During the 1989 Legislative
the Hawai`i State Legislature enacted into law Senate
Bill 832 (Act 331, Session Laws of Hawai`i 1989) to improve public
access to legislative information.
Originally staffed by community volunteers, the PAR was established as
part of a permanent public access program in 1994, offering a year-round
staff and services.
In 1996, the PAR was transferred to the Legislative Reference Bureau.
View , A Timeline of Public Access In
Hawai`i (pdf, updated 03/13).
415 So Beretania St
Honolulu, HI 96813
(808) 587-0478 phone
(808) 587-0749 TTY phone
(808) 587-0793 fax
M-F 7:45a - 6p
M-F 9a - 5p
From the Neighbor Islands,
dial toll free:
followed by the extension:
Ext. 7-0478 office
Ext. 7-0793 fax
If you visit the PAR, all of these services and resources will be
available to you. Some of these resources may also be accessed via this
Web site. Please call or email if you have any questions.
- A public phone for short local calls related to legislative issues.
- TTY telephone service for the deaf or hearing impaired.
- Wheelchair accessibility.
- Large-print reading materials.
- A complete copy of the Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS) and annual
- Complete Session Laws.
- Dictionaries (English, Hawaiian, Spanish, German, French, Japanese, Chinese, Tagalog, Ilocano) and thesauruses.
- Phone books for all Hawaiian Islands.
- Free copies of your testimony to be presented before Legislative
- Computers and office supplies to prepare testimony
for Legislative Committees.
- Workspace for writing, researching and conducting small meetings.
- Computer terminals to track bills on the Legislature's Website
and research issues on the Internet.
- A television for viewing House and Senate proceedings courtesy
of the Legislative Broadcast Project.
- In-house viewing of DVDs, from the PAR library, relating to the
three branches of government; the Bill of Rights & the U.S.
Constitution; the Founding Fathers of the United States; and School House Rock.
- Hearing notices for the House and Senate.
- House and Senate Orders of the Day.
- Governor's appointments to boards and committees.
- Information Sheets: handouts with key information about the legislature.
- Mahalo mailbox.