The Legislative Reference Bureau is a nonpartisan legislative service agency, that provides a wide variety of services to legislators, legislative committees, and in some cases, members of the public.
The LRB was originally founded in 1943 when the Territorial Legislature created it as a department of the University of Hawaii. Originally, the Bureau was established to provide research services for the governor, the legislature, and the various departments, institutions, and agencies of the Territory.
In 1972, by Act 171, the Bureau was transferred to the legislative branch of state government. In 1977, by Act 8 of the First Special Session, the functions of the revisor of statutes were incorporated as part of the responsibilities of the Bureau. In 1996, by Act 174, the Public Access Room, established by section 21G-2, Hawaii Revised Statutes, was placed under the jurisdiction of the Bureau.
- Charlotte Carter-Yamauchi, Acting Director